It's Water Saving Week! A time to raise awareness of the issues around water use. Through sharing ideas, solutions and related challenges to help save water and maintain its efficient use in their daily lives.
Every single day more than three billion (that's three thousand million) litres of perfectly good drinking water is wasted in the UK. That's enough water to make 15 billion cups of tea. (imagine the washing up...)
This is having a huge impact on our climate as making water safe for us to use uses up a lot of energy, increasing carbon emissions year on year. Whether it's doing the dishes, taking a shower, cleaning your car or washing your clothes... We all use A LOT of water.
Luckily, there's some really easy things you can do to reduce your water usage at home and at work, to help our environment, and save you money...
- 1. Turn off the tap while you brush your teeth or wash your face
- Keep a watering can or a bucket outside to collect rain to water your plants
- Keep those showers short, and try turning it off while you suds your hair or shave. You can also get water saving shower heads!
- Use the smaller flush button on the toilet
- Only ever run your dishwasher when it's full
- Use the plug or a washing up bowl when you're doing the dishes
- Check to see if you have any leaky pipes at home (or work!) - It could be wasting water you didn't even know about
- Only put on your washing machine when it's full and use a shorter cycle
- Fill up a water jug to pop in the fridge, rather than letting the tap run cold every time
- Wash your car using a bucket of water, rather than a hose
- Be careful not to add too much water to the pan or kettle, and reuse your water when cooking... like adding pasta water to your sauces and boiling any veg in the same water (this makes great gravy too!)
- Speak to your water provider on how they can do more, or email your MP to find out their local initiatives to save water in your area
we'd love for you to help us spread the word on these water saving ways to your friends and family. If you have any other suggestions, we're all ears too!
big is dead, long live smol.